Preparing your trip to the US has become that little bit easier, with US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) launching the new ESTA mobile app, which enables eligible travellers to apply for an ESTA visa by submitting an application securely and easily from their smartphone, mobile device, or tablet.
Administered by CBP on behalf of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) was established under the Visa Waiver Program to strengthen the security of travel to the United States.
ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors traveling to the United States and whether such travel poses any law enforcement or security risk.
With the ESTA mobile app, travellers will have the Visa Waiver Program in the palm of their hands and be able to:
- Scan an image of their passport;
- Have their passport read and confirmed;
- Upload a live video selfie to confirm their identity;
- Add personal and travel details to their application;
- Answer eligibility questions;
- Review and submit their application;
- Make changes or updates to their application or profile;
- Receive notifications and application status updates; and
- Save time by storing their preferences and profile details within the app.
The ESTA mobile app is available in 24 languages and serves travellers in all 41 VWP countries. These citizens are permitted to travel to the US for business or tourism and stay up to 90 days without a visa. The ESTA application is valid for two years or until the traveller’s passport expires.